Time of Your Zoning Report
As the saying goes, “Timing is everything!” And this saying definitely holds true in the commercial real estate industry. However, when it comes to requesting a zoning report, there are a number of factors to consider before you hit the “order” button. Prior to requesting a new zoning report on any commercial property, please make sure you have the following pieces of information on hand in order to expedite the turnaround time of your report:
- Summary of Salient Facts –If an appraisal of the property is not available, a summary of the property’s salient facts will provide us with most or all of the necessary information to process your order. The summary should include the gross building area, number of existing parking spaces, total acreage, net leasable area, number and height of buildings, and apartment size/unit mix.
- Correct Addresses – Make sure to double check that you have provided all potential property addresses and assessor parcel numbers. Failure to do so may prolong the reporting process and lead to incorrect information.
- Summary of Transaction Highlights – This summary would include atypical things such as 1) non-contiguous parcels, 2) shared access or parking agreements, or 3) anything unusual about the property.
- Alternative Reports – If an appraisal or property condition report is not available, an offering memorandum or property brochure can be a good alternative resource for us.
- Current Rent Roll – Most rent rolls contain relevant data to produce a zoning report, such as, apartment size and unit mix information. This information is critical for calculating the number of on or off site parking spaces required by the zoning ordinance.